Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Human Investment and Peace Talks

Nablus, Palestine

I remember watching the broken peace talks in 1998, not really understanding the images of tanks and little boys with stones. I remember images of the Wailing Wall lined with those at prayer time.

Now it's all here, and I get to see it with my own eyes, except this time, I understand the situation a bit better. Even more, the first peace talks in seven years are coming up in Annapolis either this month or next, and I feel just as nervous as those around me.

This morning, I had an interview with the President of the University because they want to hire me until I go back to my life in the States next Fall. It's a tough decision to stay in a city like Nablus, which the President called a 'prison', but not tough for the right reasons.
He explained the aspirations of the University, the image that he would like to change, and in his quiet voice, said, ' Education is the only investment that Palestinians, as human beings, can make. We don't have oil or resources, just education.'

Just last Thursday, after the failed video conference, I walked down to the center to pick up a few amenities before heading over to J's house. Because I was in a rush, I decided to cut through the Old City (which I know is never a good idea, but it is also my favorite part of the city). Everything seemed normal, as I have quickly discovered is the normal Nablus façade, and left for J's. As we were talking in her room, one of her family members yelled that there was a bomb just three hours before at one of the entrances of the Old City.

J looked at me, shrugged, and went back to her computer.

I, on the other hand, as the novice conflict zone inhabitant of the city, was a little strung out, and demanded details. How is it that I live in this city, and have no idea what is going on at times? How could the very same place I was standing, have been covered in blood just hours before, and within hours, people were back, bustling on the street as if nothing had happened. It's a tragic sign of resignation to injustice. Just how much must these people have seen to react in such a way? More than the bombs, snipers, tanks, and Israeli airplanes, I am frightened by the numbness that has resulted from the instinct of survival.

Saturday, back at work, someone mentions that S. had to go pick up the pieces – the man killed was in three parts and S. had to go, and literally, pick up the pieces. Compassionate, caring, delicately put-together S. I want him to get out; far, far away from this place where he can play his music and learn Spanish.

The peace talks must work, but I have a feeling that it will be Clinton's nightmare déjà vu all over again, but only worse. This time, there's the issue of Hamas-controlled Gaza. Yet, people seem so optimistic here (despite the aforementioned resignation), but it's the only means of survival.

While the Annapolis Peace Talks will cover refuges, the right of return for Palestinians, Jerusalem, borders, etc., just how logical is this two-state solution?

Take a good look at the last forty years and think again.

No comments: