Monday, November 5, 2007

Pisco, Piolas, y Pololos

July 6, 2005

Unfortunately, for all of you, the insane and windy e-mail writer has returned.

You can all blame my fast recovery from the super sized combo of pinkeye and a lung infection at the same time. Then again, a weekend in paradise – well, compared to the heavy blanket of smog anyway - can cure anything. First, though, I have a weird observation. I don't know if I'm the only one, but when I live or travel to a place with a metro system, I always have a dominant or preferred line. In Barcelona, London, etc. Here, too. I hate getting off the red line. Anyway, just an observation.

So, after a certain Californian passed on pinkeye to me, I still couldn't get over the lung infection for about two weeks. So, Sandra suggested that the roommates go to La Serena, Coquimbo, La Valle de Elqui, and Cochiguaz for the weekend to relax. Since Sebastian had a car at hand and a friend's bungalow on the beach, hell, why not? So the half of it is that I've been in a huge city for the last six weeks, and the other half is the noise, pollution, and the people. And even after a decade of living right on the beach, practically, for one brief moment, Coquimbo looked amazingly like paradise. I've never seen water so blue and for once it was warm enough to wear a t-shirt (until about 3p.m., but, eh). The 5 hour drive was definitely worth it, and we went to the Valley where they supposedly make some of the best pisco (tequila: Mexico, pisco: Chile), and the lady eventually conceded to 12 bottles for 20 Lucas . If only I were 21, what great presents would that make… Anyway, the sun and the semi-warm weather was the perfect solution. Coquimbo is also famous for its fish, and so, everywhere it was fish, fish, and well, more fish. It was a weekend of cheese empanadas and coca light for me. The crazy Chileans eat anything, I swear. Sebastian kept getting antsy, and when I found out why, I think I gagged. He wanted to eat the raw sexual organs of some round, spiky sea animal. I wish I could send you the pictures and I wish I could have taken pictures of some of the places.

Cochiguaz is this small little area on top of the mountains and OH MY GOD was the night sky amazing. I've never seen anything like it in my life, and if only my janky little digital could take pictures like that in the night, I would die to show you that place.

Not that Santiago is horrible at all, but when Chile has a population of 14 million and 5 million live in the city, it is nice to get away. Even the air felt lighter in the northern area. Not to say, though, that Santiago isn't magical; you just have to look for it and venture off the Alameda.

While the Chileans know how to party like animals, their dancing to club music, is, uh, special. However, some of them are amazing reggaeton and salsa dancers (even though it's not really a Chilean thing). After a night with three men who are some of the best damn dancers I've ever seen, I've started salsa lessons with an insane Cuban man. I'm too Indian to be suave yet, but let me tell you, two semesters with Heena Patel have braced me enough for an eccentric professional dancer who lives to yell, "¡de nuevo! ¡Uno, dos, tres, cuatro!" And reggaton? Party at our place when I get back!

.Sometimes, still, I'm just walking aimlessly; I'll find new barrios and see the city from a whole new perspective. Almost everyday when it's clear enough to see the Andes in the backdrop of the city, and I just have to sop for five minutes and stare. It's like a dream, and finally, we're going skiing. If I come back with a few broken bones, at least you'll know why.

So the feria finally happened. There are a bunch of seminars that we go to, marches, strikes, etc, and all in all, just one of those things that puts you in the most uncomfortable position of your life. It's the best. Amnesty International was a decent attraction in the human rights fair, and my campaign is attracting a fair amount of attention. Not to make it sound whimsical because the tactical campaign against torture by the US is not very calm like saving starving children.

Even Nathan who loves to hate Santiago knows deep down inside that he likes it here. He's crazy and I think Tiff would love to sock him one, but there's something about him. Besides, go figure that the cockiest human ever is my closest friend here.

No comments: